Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Moraine Lake and Then on to Kanaskis Country

Lynn and I started the morning drinking coffee and before we knew it all our fossils were out on display. I don't think that I have had such a cool "show and tell" experience since 1st grade. Most of the fossils that we found were similar, but this rock in the pic below was different from all the rest. I debated taking it for many reasons, the least moral of them being that it was at least 5 pounds and we still had a long way to go.

Fossil from Fossil Mountain
photo by: Lynn Peterson

 
Posted by Picasa


After a leisure start to the day, Lynn and I decided that drinking more coffee and mailing postcards sounded just right. When we were feeling like total sloths, and had come up with a bit of a plan, we stepped it up and went for a walk. Moraine lake is a tourist mecca. They lined the shores doing amusing things, it brought back a lot of memories from my days as a tour guide.

Moraine Lake

 


Lake Loise is an incredibly busy and very regulated area. It reminded me of being in Denali National Park where you have to watch a bear video, get permits ect and then take a bus into the park. This hassle is to much for me when there are so many other beautiful areas that require little effort to reach and plenty of solitude along the way. Kanaskis country is a provincial park, and although regulated and popular, much more relaxed and way less touristy.

We found an amazing picnic spot next to Lower Kanaskis lake that was perfect for guerrilla camping in the van. It is $27 to camp overnight and no one brings you coffee in the morning...

Lower Kanaskis Lake

 



Slide Show of Lynn and My Pics

No comments: