Monday, April 7, 2008

Fast and Fabulous Day

I wanted to spend all day Sunday in the mountains. I have been so nuking busy the last three weeks, that I haven't gotten to play since I went to Valdez. Play time is important to me, without it I easily become disenchanted with the rest of my life. Although I didn't get to do what I had planned, and I didn't end up spending all day in the mountains, it was enough to satisfy my inner climbing junkie.

Me in the Mini Cave Below the Pillars

 


I do have to say that nothing has slid down this HUGE avalanche gulley all season, which is very unusual. So what that means is that when it slides, its going to go big and there is going to be massive carnage if anyone is unlikely enough to be in the gulley when it happens.

The Left and Right Climb

 


The right pillar wasn't nearly as hero as I wanted it to be. It was a combination of almost sun baked/reform, with a lot of hollow chandeliery stuff. It still climbed well, but after spending the weekend on guiding on Ripple in the Canyon, it definately kept me on my toes.

The Right Climb

 


This route was my first lead climb. I still remember my friend Sharmin yelling at me to put in another screw, but my eyes were on a good stance that just seemed to get farther and farther away. Part of me feels like I should be trying to find new routes to do, since I have probably climbed the Hillside pillars at least 50 times, and the other part of me loves it up here and is content to just be in the mountains.

My Standard Top Out Self Portrait

 


There is something insanely gratifying to me about going out by myself. Maybe its from my formative climbing years when I always needed a stronger male partner to lead the routes, and I secretely wanted to be on the sharp end but was to scared to make the moves, since someone else always would. Who knows, but I do know that I love the freedom of being confident enough to climb by myself.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: